What is Mold?
Let’s get scientific for a moment. What is mold? Mold is an informal term for a group of filamentous fungi that are common on food or wet materials. According to American Industrial Hygiene Association, most molds that are found inside are caused by flooding from surface waters or storms, roof leaks, leaking pipes, damp basements, or condensation on cold surfaces.
Here’s a little more about mold that you might not know:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Mold can spread throughout a property in as little as 48 hours. Since mold can produce allergens and irritants, SERVPRO® of Southwest Lubbock is available to inspect your home if you get the hunch that you have a mold problem. If mold is found, we have the training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation. Call us at 806-780-6311 – we’re faster to any size disaster.